What’s Happening: Waymo, the autonomous vehicle division of Alphabet, is upgrading its entire Waymo One ride-hailing fleet in the Phoenix East Valley to fully electric Jaguar I-PACE vehicles equipped with its fifth-generation Waymo Driver. The fleet update is scheduled for late April, and the previous-generation Waymo Driver will be retired from service. Waymo is also joining the White House EV Acceleration Challenge in support of the administration’s push toward electric vehicles.
Why It Matters: This move is significant as it positions Waymo One as a key player in the transition to sustainable transportation, offering both environmental and safety benefits to the communities it serves. The I-PACE vehicles generate less carbon emissions than gas-powered vehicles, and Waymo’s autonomous technology allows for higher vehicle utilization, maximizing the environmental benefits of electric vehicles. Furthermore, the EV fleet is matched with 100% renewable energy, providing a zero-emission ride-hailing service.
- Waymo One’s entire ride-hailing fleet in the Phoenix East Valley will become fully electric, using Jaguar I-PACE vehicles and the fifth-generation Waymo Driver.
- The fleet update is scheduled for late April, and the previous-generation Waymo Driver will be retired.
- Waymo is joining the White House EV Acceleration Challenge to support the transition to electric vehicles.
- Autonomous EVs driven around the clock can maximize environmental benefits, and the EV fleet is matched with 100%
- renewable energy.
- The fleet update will help optimize Waymo’s technical and operational support, preparing for future vehicles like the ZEEKR mobility platform.
- The East Valley communities of Chandler, Tempe, and Mesa, Arizona, have played a critical role in Waymo’s history.
Bottom Line: Waymo’s move to a fully electric fleet in the Phoenix East Valley demonstrates its commitment to sustainable transportation and support for the administration’s push toward electric vehicles. The deployment of the Jaguar I-PACE and fifth-generation Waymo Driver will not only increase access to electric vehicles for ride-hailing customers, but also maximize the environmental benefits of EVs through efficient autonomous driving. The update also helps Waymo optimize its operations and prepare for future vehicle platforms, ultimately advancing the performance and reliability of its autonomous driving technology.