Hesai Technology, a leader in lidar sensor technology, is addressing multiple allegations from the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee regarding its operations and technology. The Committee’s letter, released on November 28, 2023, raised concerns over Hesai’s lidar technology, prompting a detailed response from the company.
Why It Matters
This clash highlights the growing scrutiny of tech companies, especially those with ties to countries like China, amidst global concerns about data security and surveillance. Hesai’s response is crucial in maintaining its reputation and market position, particularly in the U.S., where concerns over technology and national security are increasingly intertwined.
- Data Storage and Transmission: Hesai emphasizes that its lidars, including Pandar128 and AT128 models, lack data storage or wireless transmission capabilities, as confirmed by TÜV Rheinland and Dekra.
- Cybersecurity Credentials: The company highlights its achievements in cybersecurity, including the ISO/SAE 21434 certification and a high-level TISAX assessment.
- Surveillance Capabilities: Hesai asserts that its lidars cannot capture biometric data, ensuring greater privacy protection than cameras.
- Military Use and Certification: Hesai clarifies that its products are not designed for military use and are classified as EAR99 by the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Intellectual Property Compliance: The company refutes allegations of IP infringement, citing its legal victory against competitor Ouster.
- Independence from Government Influence: Hesai states it operates independently, without government equity investment or intervention.
Hesai’s comprehensive response is aimed at dispelling fears and reaffirming its commitment to ethical business practices and technological integrity. This situation underscores the delicate balance tech companies must maintain in global markets, where technology, security, and politics intersect. Hesai’s efforts to clarify its position and operations are crucial in navigating an increasingly complex and scrutinized global landscape.