What’s Happening: Cruise, a self-driving car company, has released its 2022 Impact Report, outlining its progress in four key areas: providing a more trusted mobility solution, offering cleaner, more sustainable travel, redefining accessible design, and connecting with the communities it serves. The report is the first of its kind for the autonomous vehicle industry and provides transparent new statistics on the company’s operations and efforts.
Why It Matters: As the development of autonomous mobility progresses, it provides the public with greater transparency. The report benchmarks the measurable progress Cruise has made on its objectives in the last year and outlines the company’s vision for better, cleaner, and more inclusive transportation. The report intends to set a new bar for understanding and measuring the positive impact of Cruise and other companies’ transportation solutions.
- Cruise launched fully driverless commercial ridehail operations in San Francisco, expanded to Phoenix and Austin, and grew its delivery partnership with Walmart in 2022.
- Cruise carried nearly 26,000 passengers across almost every inch of San Francisco, covering 846,000+ driverless miles across San Francisco, Austin, and Phoenix.
- 94% of riders reported trust in Cruise, while 89% said the Cruise AV is a good driver.
- Cruise operated an all-electric, renewable-powered fleet that drove 2.7M+ electric miles, used 3.1 gigawatt hours of renewable solar power, and avoided 1,116.1 metric tons of tailpipe carbon emissions and 785.6 metric tons of upstream carbon emissions.
- Cruise developed 12 new accessibility features, completed five user experience accessibility-focused studies, and engaged in 100+ dialogues with accessibility groups and advocates.
- Cruise engaged with 150+ community-based organizations across SF, Arizona, Austin, and Washington, D.C., delivering 350,000 meals through Cruise for Good and making 24,000+ deliveries on behalf of Cruise for Good partners.
Bottom Line: Cruise’s 2022 Impact Report highlights the company’s progress in providing a more trusted mobility solution, offering cleaner, more sustainable travel, redefining accessible design, and connecting with the communities it serves. The report is a benchmark for the measurable progress made in the last year and outlines Cruise’s vision for better, cleaner, and more inclusive transportation. Cruise intends to continue building public trust and confidence as it expands commercially in 2023, emphasizing outreach to communities of color, non-English-speaking groups, low-income, and under-resourced neighborhoods.