onsemi, a prominent player in the automotive sensor industry, has teamed up with Renesas to integrate its advanced Hyperlux™ Image Sensor Family onto Renesas’ R-Car V4x Platform. This collaboration is set to offer automotive vision systems of unparalleled quality to automotive OEMs and Tier1s, laying the groundwork for safer semi-automated driving.
Why It Matters
Ensuring safety in the rapidly evolving domain of automated and semi-automated driving is a prime concern. The partnership between onsemi and Renesas, both of whom have a reputation for prioritizing safety and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), offers a formidable solution in the form of enhanced sensor performance and an advanced system-on-a-chip (SoC).
- Hyperlux image sensors feature a 2.1 µm pixel size, an industry-leading 150dB ultra high dynamic range (HDR), and LED flicker mitigation (LFM) suitable for the demanding conditions of automotive applications.
- When paired with Renesas’ R-Car flexible software platform, it equips automotive OEMs and Tier1s with cutting-edge computational tools, addressing needs from ADAS to Level 3 automated driving.
- Takeshi Fuse from Renesas emphasized the “out-of-the-box compatibility” of onsemi’s Hyperlux sensors with their platform, hinting at future collaborative ventures.
- This isn’t the first time Renesas and onsemi have joined forces. Their combined products have been a part of the automotive ecosystem for multiple product generations. Vehicles today utilize their combined tech in applications like front cameras, surround views, and driver monitoring systems.
- Chris Adams of onsemi underscores Renesas’ unique position in the market and believes the integration decision underscores the pivotal role their sensors play in safety-critical systems.
The amalgamation of onsemi’s sophisticated image sensors and Renesas’ platform signifies a monumental step towards enhancing safety in semi-automated vehicles. This partnership underscores the pivotal role technology plays in advancing safety systems, promising a safer driving future.