What’s Happening: Mercedes-Benz has revealed its plans to introduce its own operating system, MB.OS, with the new MMA platform in the mid-2020s. MB.OS is designed to connect the major aspects of the company’s value chain and provide a unique chip-to-cloud architecture that integrates all car functions. The company has partnered with leading technology players like NVIDIA, Luminar, and Google to enhance its benchmark automated driving systems, elevate its infotainment experience, and advance its automated driving capabilities.
Why It Matters: Mercedes-Benz’s decision to develop its own operating system allows it to have full control over the customer relationship and ensure data privacy while offering its customers a differentiated, superior product experience. The proprietary system is also standardized across the entire vehicle portfolio, fully upgradable for rapid product upgrades, and deliberately open for selected partners.
- MB.OS is a proprietary operating system that connects the major aspects of the Mercedes-Benz value chain.
- Mercedes-Benz has partnered with NVIDIA to enhance its automated driving systems with the Orin system-on-chip and LiDAR sensors from Luminar.
- The company has collaborated with Google to build its own branded navigation experience based on new in-car data and navigation capabilities from the Google Maps Platform.
- Mercedes-Benz has expanded its infotainment features with new partnerships for leading video, gaming, and productivity applications.
- The next generation of SAE Level 2 automated driving will start in the Entry segment, leveraging the full potential of machine learning.
- Mercedes-Benz is focusing on Level 3 conditionally automated driving, with the ultimate goal of driving at speeds of up to 130 km/h in its final iteration.
Bottom Line: Mercedes-Benz’s MB.OS represents a strategic move to retain full control over the customer relationship and offer a differentiated, superior product experience. By partnering with leading technology players like NVIDIA, Luminar, and Google, Mercedes-Benz is set to enhance its automated driving systems, infotainment experience, and automated driving capabilities. The company’s in-house expertise combined with selected partnerships will create an outstanding customer experience, from driving assistance to integrated charging.